How can I secure My Home?
Statistically, two-thirds of break-ins occur through doors and windows left open and during daylight hours when occupants are likely to be out of the house. Most burglars are opportunistic, so if they see an open door or window, they will target the home. Burglars also keep an eye out for visible valuables, clues that occupants are away, and houses without security alarms or cameras.
5 tips to secure your home
- Stow your valuables. Install a secure safe to store your small valuables and documents, as well keeping larger valuables such as tools and sporting equipment locked away and out of sight.
- Don’t let your mailbox overflow. Place a mail hold through Australia Post or ask a neighbour to collect your mail if going away and place a ‘no junk mail’ sign on your letterbox.
- Don’t leave bins out. Ask a neighbour to put your bins in and out rather than leaving them out for days before and after bin day.
- Install security devices. Install a security alarm and / or security cameras and turn them on when you’re out.
- Secure your window and doors. While there a many ways in which you can improve the security of your home, the safest and most effective way is by securing your windows and doors.
How can I burglar proof my windows and doors?
Lock your windows and doors every time you leave the house. Security doors and window security screens are a great way to secure your openings while you are home or away. The reason being, they provide excellent security while you’re home with the window open for cross ventilation and security screens also act as a burglary deterrent. If a burglar sees a security door or security window screens, they will likely move on to another house that does not have these security measures. Why? Sure, a burglar could smash a pane of glass, but that would be noisy and potentially draw attention to the neighbours. It’s much easier for a burglar to find unlock doors and windows or lever locked doors and window open.
Secure your windows and doors with SP Screens
SP Screens supply and professionally install security doors and window security screens along the east coast of Australia from Sydney to Brisbane. You can book a free in-home consultation online, choosing a time and date convenient to you, or call SP Screens on 1300 939 700.